Fearing for our lives: Australians tell of Chilean mountain horror where five hikers perished
Emily Dong's heart still races as she recalls the terror she felt on a remote mountain trail in Chilean Patagonia. The 24-year-old Australian woman was part of a group of about 30 people, including 13 Australians, who attempted to conquer the O Circuit trail at Torres del Paine national park on November 17. However, their hike turned into a nightmare when fierce winds hit 190km/h and temperatures plummeted to –5C, making it feel like –20C.
"I remember holding my hands over my head because that's how heavy the storm was," Dong said, describing the extreme conditions she faced. "It was impossible to move forward." The group had been warned by staff that they could stop at a nearby hut for lunch and warmth before pushing on, but it was locked, leaving them vulnerable to the elements.
As the winds howled around her, Dong crawled across an ice sheet on all fours, unable to put on her spikes due to the freezing conditions. Her walking poles were of little use against the battering wind that forced her to her knees at every step. The group's leader, Sid Bildmann from Brisbane, made the difficult decision to turn back, but it was too late. Four days later, five hikers had succumbed to hypothermia in a tragic accident.
Dong and her friend survived by crawling down icy slopes on their hands and knees, with some falling to the ground. The group managed to rescue one of the victims, Cristina Calvillo Tovar from Mexico, but it was too late for Julián García Pimentel, who had died of hypothermia.
The incident has sparked outrage among hikers, with many blaming a "huge systemic failure" in the park's safety protocols. The group of survivors claims that they were encouraged to attempt the treacherous pass on a day when conditions were extremely bad and there was no support from rangers or rescue teams.
"It was hard to leave the camp," said Renae Casini, another Australian hiker who survived the disaster. "You could see the people, the faces that were still on the hill... We wanted to do more to help. It plays in my mind." The group of survivors has called for essential safety measures to be introduced, including a hiker log at each campsite and access to medical equipment.
The Chilean government, parks administration (Conaf), and private operator Vertice have all faced criticism over their role in the disaster. Vertice said it had a strict visitor registration protocol, but Conaf has ordered an internal investigation to determine potential liability. The O Circuit trail remains closed for investigation, with concerns that some hikers may still be unaccounted for due to the absence of sign-in sheets or tracking.
The incident serves as a stark reminder of the dangers of hiking in remote and rugged terrain, where even the most experienced adventurers can fall victim to extreme weather conditions. As Dong so aptly put it, "Nobody should have been allowed, let alone encouraged to attempt the pass that day."
Emily Dong's heart still races as she recalls the terror she felt on a remote mountain trail in Chilean Patagonia. The 24-year-old Australian woman was part of a group of about 30 people, including 13 Australians, who attempted to conquer the O Circuit trail at Torres del Paine national park on November 17. However, their hike turned into a nightmare when fierce winds hit 190km/h and temperatures plummeted to –5C, making it feel like –20C.
"I remember holding my hands over my head because that's how heavy the storm was," Dong said, describing the extreme conditions she faced. "It was impossible to move forward." The group had been warned by staff that they could stop at a nearby hut for lunch and warmth before pushing on, but it was locked, leaving them vulnerable to the elements.
As the winds howled around her, Dong crawled across an ice sheet on all fours, unable to put on her spikes due to the freezing conditions. Her walking poles were of little use against the battering wind that forced her to her knees at every step. The group's leader, Sid Bildmann from Brisbane, made the difficult decision to turn back, but it was too late. Four days later, five hikers had succumbed to hypothermia in a tragic accident.
Dong and her friend survived by crawling down icy slopes on their hands and knees, with some falling to the ground. The group managed to rescue one of the victims, Cristina Calvillo Tovar from Mexico, but it was too late for Julián García Pimentel, who had died of hypothermia.
The incident has sparked outrage among hikers, with many blaming a "huge systemic failure" in the park's safety protocols. The group of survivors claims that they were encouraged to attempt the treacherous pass on a day when conditions were extremely bad and there was no support from rangers or rescue teams.
"It was hard to leave the camp," said Renae Casini, another Australian hiker who survived the disaster. "You could see the people, the faces that were still on the hill... We wanted to do more to help. It plays in my mind." The group of survivors has called for essential safety measures to be introduced, including a hiker log at each campsite and access to medical equipment.
The Chilean government, parks administration (Conaf), and private operator Vertice have all faced criticism over their role in the disaster. Vertice said it had a strict visitor registration protocol, but Conaf has ordered an internal investigation to determine potential liability. The O Circuit trail remains closed for investigation, with concerns that some hikers may still be unaccounted for due to the absence of sign-in sheets or tracking.
The incident serves as a stark reminder of the dangers of hiking in remote and rugged terrain, where even the most experienced adventurers can fall victim to extreme weather conditions. As Dong so aptly put it, "Nobody should have been allowed, let alone encouraged to attempt the pass that day."