Israel Launches Largest Military Raid in West Bank Since Gaza Ceasefire
Hundreds of Israeli soldiers backed by armoured vehicles launched a massive military operation in the Palestinian town of Tubas near Nablus on Tuesday, imposing a curfew and forcing residents to evacuate their homes. The operation, which is expected to continue for several days, is the largest of its kind since Israel imposed a ceasefire in Gaza last month.
The Israeli military said it had launched a "counter-terrorism operation" in response to concerns that Tubas had become a hub for militant activity. Leaflets distributed by the military warned residents that failure to comply would result in severe consequences, echoing similar threats made against two northern West Bank cities, Jenin and Tulkarm, earlier this year.
The Gaza Strip has also seen renewed violence overnight, with reports of bombardment near the town of al-Bureij and a claim by Israel's military that it had killed six Hamas militants who emerged from a tunnel in Rafah. However, there is no independent confirmation of the claim, and a series of clashes have broken out in the Gaza Strip involving militants trapped in tunnels.
The conflict in Gaza has resulted in hundreds of civilian deaths and widespread destruction, with nearly 70,000 Palestinians killed and 170,863 injured since the war began last October. A fragile ceasefire came into effect last month, but violence in the West Bank has continued to spike.
According to UN officials, Israeli troops or settlers have killed over 1,000 Palestinians in the West Bank since the start of the war in Gaza. The UN attributes most of these fatalities to "the systematic and excessive use of lethal force by Israeli forces, often involving live fire, airstrikes and shoulder-fired missiles in densely populated areas".
Meanwhile, a report by Human Rights Watch claims that Israel's forced displacement of West Bank refugee camp populations amounts to war crimes and crimes against humanity. The 32,000 people displaced have been barred from returning to their homes, many of which were deliberately demolished by Israeli forces.
The Israeli government's actions in the West Bank have faced international criticism, with some describing the military operations as disproportionate and excessive. The UN has called for an end to violence and a return to calm, but the situation on the ground remains fragile.
Hundreds of Israeli soldiers backed by armoured vehicles launched a massive military operation in the Palestinian town of Tubas near Nablus on Tuesday, imposing a curfew and forcing residents to evacuate their homes. The operation, which is expected to continue for several days, is the largest of its kind since Israel imposed a ceasefire in Gaza last month.
The Israeli military said it had launched a "counter-terrorism operation" in response to concerns that Tubas had become a hub for militant activity. Leaflets distributed by the military warned residents that failure to comply would result in severe consequences, echoing similar threats made against two northern West Bank cities, Jenin and Tulkarm, earlier this year.
The Gaza Strip has also seen renewed violence overnight, with reports of bombardment near the town of al-Bureij and a claim by Israel's military that it had killed six Hamas militants who emerged from a tunnel in Rafah. However, there is no independent confirmation of the claim, and a series of clashes have broken out in the Gaza Strip involving militants trapped in tunnels.
The conflict in Gaza has resulted in hundreds of civilian deaths and widespread destruction, with nearly 70,000 Palestinians killed and 170,863 injured since the war began last October. A fragile ceasefire came into effect last month, but violence in the West Bank has continued to spike.
According to UN officials, Israeli troops or settlers have killed over 1,000 Palestinians in the West Bank since the start of the war in Gaza. The UN attributes most of these fatalities to "the systematic and excessive use of lethal force by Israeli forces, often involving live fire, airstrikes and shoulder-fired missiles in densely populated areas".
Meanwhile, a report by Human Rights Watch claims that Israel's forced displacement of West Bank refugee camp populations amounts to war crimes and crimes against humanity. The 32,000 people displaced have been barred from returning to their homes, many of which were deliberately demolished by Israeli forces.
The Israeli government's actions in the West Bank have faced international criticism, with some describing the military operations as disproportionate and excessive. The UN has called for an end to violence and a return to calm, but the situation on the ground remains fragile.